Tuesday 18 February 2014

Playing with Bohemian Bazaar...

So I adore Graphic 45 papers and probably not alone in that.  I also have a problem that I can never seem to bring myself to actually cut into them!!  Probably not alone in that either :D.  Anyway, I decided enough was enough, time to just get the papers out, grab some distress inks and have a really good play and experiment the afternoon away.  I found that once I'd made that first cut, inked those first edges, that it became easier to tear more papers from the pads.  G45 papers are famous for having that 'old' look and they even 'smell' like something so vintage and exclusive. But 'Bohemian Bazaar' is just so vibrant, it manages to encompass all that is G45 and yet be something fresh and new all at the same time, sort of a contradiction. People who know me, will know that I am all for 'contradiction'.

So here is the result of my experimental play time, a card that celebrates 'mums', and using an 'old' yet new sentiment, which i thought was perfect for the papers.


Materials Used:
'Bohemian Bazaar' 12 x 12 pad - Graphic 45                         
Black card - Papermill Direct
White scalloped edged card blank
Tim Holtz distress Ink in 'Broken China'
'Onyx Pearl' - Liquid Pearls
Black & White Bakers Twine
Blue and pink buttons
Dark Card Cand - Craftwork Cards
Turquoise Ribbon
Sentiment
3D Foam Pads
Cosmic Shimmer Clear Glue


Tools Used:
Paper Trimmer
Die Cutter - Big Shot 
Accordion Fold Flowers Die Set - Sizzix
Bigz Tag Die Set - Sizzix

some of the materials used



Tips:
Inking around the edges of the white scalloped card blank and the cut edges of the papers helps to bring the design together. I used  'broken china' distress ink, applied using a small piece of cut & dry foam. 

Matting the 'Bohemian Bazaar' papers onto quality black card leaving a small edge all around, helps to frame and set off the bright colours and busy designs.

I die cut strips to create rosette flowers in matching papers from the same range.  I also used some of the strips as they were to add interest to the tags and paper edges.  Again I inked them with distress ink.

Close up


I cut 3 tag shapes with a tag die, one in black card, one in a matching paper from the range, and another in white that had the sentiment upon it.  Inking the edges to lose some of the bright whiteness and tie it into the whole design of the card.

Layering and adding height with 3D foam pads and embellishments really adds to the look.  here I also threaded bakers twine through buttons and the tags.  I also tied a bright turquoise blue ribbon into a bow for the top of the tags and wrapped a piece of the ribbon around a paper panel.

Adding dots of liquid pearls to sections of the design also helped to bring it all 'together'.

When creating the design, i was playing, experimenting and it just flowed. I wanted to not be confined by the straight edges of the mat panel, I chose to make some elements overlap this area deliberately, hopefully adding extra interest.

Overall I am surprised and happy with the result and I'm sure I'll be playing again with this range, now that I have convinced myself that nothing bad will happen to me if I actually do cut into it.


Mums are like buttons Card



3 comments:

  1. I love every aspect of this card. Immediately, the colors draw you in but after that initial draw, you find details galore and lots of surprises. Love that this made we want to find every little extra thing that was going on. Pop of black grounds the whole design quite nicely, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first blog entry! You make me feel guilty for not doing more with my blog! I need someone to sell me time! :-)

    ReplyDelete